NHI Programs, NHI Sponsors
State Farm renews partnership with NHI for 2022 to support Great Debate and CWS
State Farm has renewed its commitment to the National Hispanic Institute’s ongoing mission of developing future generations of Latino leaders, announcing a $20,000 grant to support the nonprofit organization’s slate of Great Debate and Collegiate World Series programming in 2022.
Since 1979, NHI has committed to the betterment of Latino communities across the United States and throughout the Americas, providing a three-year curriculum of leadership education for high school students who demonstrate leadership aptitude. This year’s grant will help bring the summer programs to an expected cohort of more than 2,000 top high school students from the U.S. as well as some students from Mexico, Central American and Caribbean nations, as well as supporting an expanded slate of year-round programming for NHI students preparing for college.
“We’re proud to be continuing our relationship with State Farm, which has invested in the development of Latino leaders through its ongoing sponsorship of our programs,” said Nicole Nieto, executive vice president of NHI. “This year’s $20,000 grant will not only support continuing partnerships supporting students in established NHI regions, but will also help develop leaders via new programs in Southern California and Tennessee.”
“State Farm is proud to support NHI in its efforts to help high school students develop leadership and public speaking skills,” said Jose Soto, State Farm Corporate Responsibility Analyst. “We are excited to continue to support The Great Debate tournament and Collegiate World Series which are outstanding programs allowing students to acquire and practice valuable communication skills.”
While NHI has served most of its more than 100,000 alumni through four-to-eight-day immersive programs bringing students to university campuses, it also added online versions of its programs in 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year, NHI will operate six Great Debate programs for rising sophomores, including:
● Texas Great Debate, Schreiner University, Kerrville, Texas, June 11-14
● Texas Star Great Debate, Schreiner University, Kerrville, Texas, June 16-21
● Midwest Great Debate, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, July 3-8
● California Sol Great Debate, University of San Diego, San Diego, California, July 12-17
● Northeast Great Debate, St. Francis University, Loretto, Pennsylvania, July 19-24
● GDx, Online from NHIx Global Broadcasting Studio, July 21-23 and 25-26
It will also convene three CWS programs, including:
● International CWS, University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee, June 29-July 3
● Texas CWS, St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, Texas, July 27-31
● CWSx, Online from NHIx Global Broadcasting Studio, July 18-20 and 23-24
NHI’s core principles of community equity building and community social entrepreneurship extend to its summer programs, which are primarily funded through student tuition and in-kind volunteer hours from alumni and NHI supporters. There are a limited number of spaces available for this summer’s programs, visit https://www.nationalhispanicinstitute.org/Programs for more information on eligibility requirements and how to apply.